Best of Both Worlds

Something people have been asking me a lot is
 why my posted workouts which are geared for beginner Strength Training
 always have cardio follow ups.

Well Time and time again I saw posts, message boards, and even memes dedicated to Strength training vs. Cardio. I have been a big believer in cardio ever since I started getting serious about weight loss. 

I mean hello have you ever seen a fat professional runner? Me either.

Yet it seemed that more and more I had been seeing so many people saying that if you wanna lose the weight cardio just isn't the answer. It's all about strength training now. So being the cardio junkie I am, I scoured the Internet reading study after study trying to disprove that fact. 

First There was Cardio...

Cardio - Anything that gets your heart rate up, makes you sweat, and pumps more oxygen through your blood!

Good examples of cardio are Running, Cycling, Aerobic classes, Swimming and Dancing.

Pros - 
Increases Energy Levels
Improves Sleep
Enhances Circulation
Increases Bone Density
Decreases Depression and Anxiety
Increases Metabolism 
Improves Endurance 
Increases Good Cholesterol
Increases Cardiovascular health

Cons -
Tough on Joints
High risk of injury
Risk of burning muscle
Requires longer work out times

Then there was Strength Training...

Strength Training - Any Exercise that helps the different muscles in your body become stronger and more powerful!

Good examples of Strength Training are - Using Weights, Body weight presses, Squats, and Resistance band work outs.

Pros -
Decreases Body Fat
Tones Entire Body
Improves Mobility
Helps With Coordination
Strengthens Joints and Ligaments
Decreases depression and Anxiety
Shorter work out Times

Cons - 
Easy to over train
Less freedom in the work out
Takes more discipline 

Seeing the results so clear like that I was shocked. I mean how in the world can this be? The better pros are on the strength training side...
 All I could think was that I wanted to lose weight, I didn't Wanna look like She Hulk. Sulking Feeling a little depleted after all my efforts to try and nail cardio, I continued my research. 

What actually has to happen in your body for weight loss to accrue and I found that you really need to A. increase your muscle tissue which is done in strength training and B. increase your metabolic rate which is done in cardio.

So I came to the Conclusion that for the best results, both types of exercise were going to be important. 

When you do both at the same time it is called metabolic conditioning and is a very effective fitness and fat loss tool. The only problem is, it is not for exercise beginners. That is where my previously posted work outs come in, they are to get the body ready for metabolic conditioning. 

Don't just lose weight and be thin, lose weight and be Strong!


  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Ice Cream

I'm back y'all and boy do I have a treat for you. Who here has a sweet tooth? This girl does! Today I got some low calorie high prot...